Discovery Guides focus on conservation education for Prospect Park Zoo visitors and, in turn, gain experience with teaching, leadership, public speaking, and learn about animals and the wild places they inhabit!
Who is this program for?
The Discovery Guide program is for youth aged 14 and older who seek to enrich their lives and gain job skills by volunteering at the Prospect Park Zoo. The Discovery Guide program gives teens exposure to careers in the Zoo field while learning about animals, conservation, and education.
What are some of the responsibilities?
- Educate public visitors at exhibits
- Help out with birthday parties and special events, like Boo at the Zoo
- Interact with children in the Discovery Center, art station and during summer camp
- Get involved with Project TRUE (Teens Research Urban Ecology)
- Collect data for animal behavior studies
- Lead summer offerings like storytelling, games and art activities
- Make a difference
- Meet like-minded teens and make new friends
- Earn school community service hours
- Increase animal knowledge
- Gain work experience and build your college resume
Take the Next Step
We are currently accepting applications for the 2013 season. Please complete the following application. The deadline for Spring is January 4 and the Summer deadline is April 1. Spring training dates are February 17, 18, and 19, 2013. Summer training dates are June 27, 28, July 1, 2, and 3, 2013. Fall training dates TBD.
For more information call 718-399-7339 ext 325 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Discovery Guide Application >>